The Woodbridge Public Library offers, free of charge, notary public services for the benefit of residents of Woodbridge Township and for Woodbridge Public Library cardholders. Persons seeking notary public services who are not Woodbridge Township residents or Woodbridge Public Library cardholders shall be charged a $2.50 fee per signature.
The following guidelines will be followed in the provision of notary public service:
- Notary service is available on a first come, first serve basis from Monday through Saturday (no Sunday hours). Customers seeking notary service should call the appropriate library branch prior to their visit to ensure that a notary is available. Notary service may not always be available due to variable staff schedules.
- Notary service is not available in the thirty (30) minutes prior to the time of closing.
- Valid government-issued photo identification is required of any customer seeking notary service
- Notary service is limited to three documents per person per day.
- DO NOT SIGN the document before coming to the Library. Signing of the document must take place in the presence of the Notary.
- The Library will not provide witnesses, and witnesses may not be solicited from customers using the Library. In order to serve as a witness, the witness must personally know the person whose document is being notarized and they must be in possession of valid photo identification.
- New Jersey law requires that a Notary and the customer seeking notarization be able to communicate directly with each other. Library Notaries are not permitted to make use of a translator to communicate with a notary service customer.
- Documents in any language other than English will not be notarized by the libraries.
- Notary service is not available for Deeds, Living Wills, Living Trusts, Codicils, Depositions, Mortgages or other Real Estate Closing documents.
- Certain public documents cannot be copied and notarized. Examples are: birth certificates, death certificates and marriage certificates.
Notaries will not provide service if the customer, document or circumstances of the request for notary service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt or uncertainty for the Library. In this event, the Library Notary may, at his or her sole discretion, decline to provide notary service.