Book Hours: Community Service Hours for Your Book Reviews!
Please note: The Book Hours program is not a source for immediate community service hours. We review submissions carefully, and you must be willing to wait at least a week for acceptance. If you need community service hours in the extreme short term, please consider a different solution.
Book Hours Review Rules
- Open to students in Woodbridge Township and nearby municipalities in grades 8 through 12.
- Books must be at least 100 pages long and age or reading level appropriate for the volunteer.
- You may submit a maximum of 2 reviews per month; only one book per month may be 600+ pages, all books 1,000+ pages will receive a maximum of 10 hours.
- Reviews are accepted at the discretion of library staff, and we may not accept a review that does not demonstrate familiarity with the book's content.
- Reviews must be between 250 and 500 words.
- Volunteers submitting reviews that violate ethical academic standards (e.g. plagiarism) will be permanently disqualified from participating in the Book Hours program.
Submitting Book Hours Reviews
- Return completed forms to Woodbridge Main Library adult or children's reference desks.
- Submissions can also be made using the online form on this page.
Receiving Community Service Credit
- You receive 1 community service hour per 100 pages (i.e. 3 hours for a 350-page book).
- Please allow 7 days for processing; we will sign volunteer forms or provide confirmation letters by request only.
- Once your Book Hours Review has been accepted, please contact Teen Services before bringing your community service form for a signature. Forms dropped off without prior arrangement will not be available for at least 24 hours, and possibly longer, pending availability of Teen Services staff.
- For confirmation requests or additional information, please email Teen Services or call 732-634-4450.