- Format: eMagazines
- Great resource for current events and interests with content for both kids and adults.
- Read right in your browser or download issues to your iPad, Android, or Kindle Fire device for access without a web connection.
- Most magazine issues are always available and check out forever! Others loan for periods from 48 hours to 1 week.
Flipster, a New Way to Access Digital Magazines
Access digital magazines using Flipster. Flipster is a next-generation digital magazine service that allows people to browse the latest issues of high quality digital versions of popular magazines, courtesy of the library.
Magazines can be downloaded to iPads, Kindle Fire devices, or Android devices via a native app for offline reading anytime, anywhere.
Flipster offers an easy, browseable reading experience. You can browse magazines by category as well as perform searches for specific periodicals. An online newsstand provides a carousel of the most recent issues, as well as a carousel of all issues allowing for quick access to magazines.
Each magazine has a digital table of contents containing links to quickly go to articles of interest. Additionally, hotlinks within magazines are hyperlinked and open links in separate tabs when clicked. There is an option to zoom in and out for better readability. (From EBSCO)
Wondering exactly how to get that reading material?
Follow these steps:
- Find your device and view either a text or video guide to getting set up.
- Use your library card number to access the Flipster website.
- (Mobile Devices Only) If you're using the Flipster app, after opening it you'll want to let it access your location and then choose "Woodbridge Public Library" before entering your library card when asked.
- Click or tap on a magazine cover to view the latest issue.
- (Looking for Previous Issues? If accessing Flipster in a web browser, open the latest issue and click "All Issues" in the sidebar. If accessing Flipster via the app, tap on the latest issue cover and then scroll down for previous issues.
- Apple iPads
- Apple Mac Computers
- Android Phones/Tablets
- Kindle Fire/HD/HDX
- Windows Computers
Using Text-to-Speech Reader for Articles
The Flipster app includes a text-to-speech reader that can read your Flipster magazine articles to you.
Please note that text-to-speech is not available in the in-browser Flipster platform. You must use the app to access this feature.
To use the text-to-speech reader:
- Locate an article you would like to read.
- Tap the Text View link at the top of the viewer.
- Tap the speaker icon.
- Press the play button in the Text to Speech window to hear the article read to you.
- When finished, tap the Cancel link to close the window.