Become a Woodbridge Township Police Officer
When the next Civil Service test sign-up becomes available, we will post the information here.
The Woodbridge Township police Department is an agency that is mainly regulated by New Jersey Civil Service rules.
All applicants must maintain residency in Woodbridge Township from the announced closing date for filing the civil service test application and time of appointment.
Graduation from high school or vocational high school or possession of an approved high school equivalent certificate.
Not less than 18 nor more than 35 years of age at the announced closing date for filing applications for the position. In determining maximum age eligibility of veterans, the time spent in active military service during periods specified in Department of Personnel law and rules will be deducted from the attained age.
Appointees will be required to possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
Must be a citizen of the United States.
As a prerequisite for appointment, appointees will be required to pass a thorough medical and psychiatric examination to be administered by the appointing authority. Any psychological, medical or physical condition or defect which would prevent efficient performance of the duties of the position, cause the appointee to be a hazard to himself/herself or others, or become aggravated as a result of performance of these duties, will be cause for rejection.
Alternate Route Method
The New Jersey legislature has allowed an exception for agencies governed by Civil Service rules to hire candidates from underrepresented groups.
In order for this exception to become active, all disabled veterans and veterans must have been given an opportunity for hire through certification on the current civil service list.
You must be PTC (Police Training Commission) certified and have completed the Basic Course for Police Officers (BCPO) at a PTC approved police academy in New Jersey.
You cannot be currently employed, either in a permanent position or in a working test period, with any municipal or county police department, or any sheriff’s office.
All of the minimum qualifications listed above apply, except for residency.
Physical Fitness Standards
All individuals selected by the Woodbridge Township Police Department that have not completed a PTC approved academy will be required to attend one. The PTC has minimum physical fitness standards that must be met at the onset of the academy. Failure to do so will result in dismissal from the academy and dismissal from employment with the Woodbridge Township Police Department.
Physical Conditioning Passing Test Requirements:
Vertical Jump: 15 inches
1 Minute Sit-up: 28 repetitions
300 Meter Run: 70.1 seconds or less
1 Minute Push-up: 24 repetitions
1.5 Mile Run: 15:55 minutes or less
Tattoo / Body Art / Branding
Tattoos, body art and/or intentional brandings are prohibited in the following locations: On the neck or head above the lines of a T-shirt and below the wrist bone.
If the tattoos/body art/brands are deemed visible on the prohibited parts of the body, the tattoos/body art/brands must be removed and healed prior to the Medical Phase of the selection process.
- All tattoos, body art, or intentional brandings that are deemed offensive will be concealed from public view while on-duty. The Police Director or his designee will have final say in the determination of whether or not a tattoo, body art, or branding is offensive.
- If the markings are deemed offensive, concealment from public view while on-duty will be mandatory.
- Considerations when determining if the markings are offensive will include, but are not limited to, those that are obscene, offensive, sexually suggestive, profane, or discriminatory towards persons on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion or creed, age, sex, or disability or advocate or symbolize gang, or extremist groups.
- Tattoos, body art and/or intentional brandings are prohibited in the following locations:
- On the neck or head above the lines of a T-shirt.
- Below the wrist bone.
- Dental Ornaments: The use of gold, platinum or other veneers or caps for purposes of ornamentation is prohibited. Teeth, whether natural, capped or veneer, will not be ornamented with designs, jewels, initials, etc. Waivers may be requested for prior existing dental ornamentation from the Police Director.
- Body Piercing: Visible body piercing jewelry, including tongue piercing barbells, is not permitted by any member or employee. Earrings are permissible based on assignment.
Starting salary for Officers with no prior law enforcement experience is $46,189.00 per year.
The applicant was convicted of an indictable offense or is presently under an indictment.
The applicant was convicted of any offense involving domestic violence.
The applicant was convicted of two or more offenses of driving while intoxicated as defined under N.J.S.A. 39:4-50 or was convicted of driving while intoxicated as defined under N.J.S.A. 39:4-50 within the last five years.
The applicant is currently on probation or has been on probation at any time within the last 12 months.
The applicant has been dishonorably discharged from any branch of military service or law enforcement agency.
The applicant was adjudicated by a court or found by an employer to have violated any person's civil rights.
The applicant was convicted of an offense involving or touching on previous public office, position or employment. See N.J.S.A. 2C:51-2(d).
The applicant is subject to a restraining order for harassing, stalking, or threatening, or a restraining order for any domestic violence related offense.
The applicant sold, manufactured or distributed any illegal controlled substance in his or her life.
The applicant engaged in the unauthorized usage of any illegal drug while employed in a position of public trust.
Other Resources and Documentation
Should you desire further information, contact the Woodbridge Township Police Department Selection Process Unit / Internal Affairs Unit at 732-602-4500 extension 2121.
THE WOODBRIDGE TOWNSHIP POLICE DEPARTMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER